School Counseling Services
Learn about Middle School Counseling
School Counseling at RMS
School Counseling services at RMS are integral to the total educational program. A staff of professional school counselors, under the leadership of the middle school Director of Student Services, provides counseling services, which include individual and group counseling, academic support and planning, college and career awareness, individual assessment, school/family conferences, and intervention referrals. Each student is assigned to a school counselor based on team placement.
Middle School counseling is also a unique opportunity to guide early adolescent students through the challenging years of development. We are excited to have this opportunity to assist in the educational development of your child as a component of the student/school/home team.
The Role of the Middle School Counselor
School counselors are specialized, professional educators certified by the Virginia State Department of Education. They are an integral part of the Robinson community, committed to the growth and well-being of their students. School counselors provide students with skills and motivation to become contributing members of the community. School Counselors collaborate with all members of the school community to form partnerships for the benefit of all students. They meet regularly with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community liaisons to help develop and deliver programs that support all students' academic, career, and social/emotional development.
RMS Counselor (Academic Domain):
- has regular contact with teaching teams and/or parents to discuss any issues of concern regarding students, and to create plans for improvement;
- meets with students both individually and in groups to address issues such as study skills, time management, test anxiety, academic intervention, and motivation;
- works with special education and 504 committees to assess student need for support;
- continually addresses changing student needs through evaluation and conferral with all members of the school community.
RMS Counselor (Social/Emotional Domain):
- performs student mediations and conflict resolution;
- assists in student development of resiliency skills;
- helps students navigate transition from elementary school and to high school;
- confers with outside agencies for the purpose of referrals;
- provides developmental, prevention and intervention services to students.
RMS Counselor(Career Domain):
- Provides college and career awareness and exploration through guided curriculum;
- Strives to continually provide student refocus and reinforcement of relevance of middle level education to higher education and the world of work;
- Shows students the connection of career goals to educational goals.
Parents - When you want to see your child's counselor:
Since we attempt to be available for your child at any point during the school day, please call ahead before coming to see us. We are always available by Email!
Parents May Want to Contact the School Counselor for:
- Questions regarding student achievement
- The discussions of the individual needs of their child
- Family issues or concerns
- Early discussion of a potential crisis
- The facilitation of a parent/teacher meeting
- Test interpretation/placement concerns
- Resource material and/or referrals
Here are some reasons we maybe in contact:
Sometimes when you call us, we are in a meeting.
You may ask. "What are all those meeting that they are always in?"
All of these meetings are to ensure that your child receives the attention they need to be successful. As a department, all the counselors look forward to being a partner with parents/guardians and working together to ensure that each child has a happy middle school experience. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child's middle school experience please contact the Student Services Office at (703) 426-2222 to be directed, to the appropriate counselor.
American School Counseling Association (ASCA) Model Program
Robinson Middle School counseling program has been awarded the RAMP designation. The RAMP designation is awarded for aligning with the criteria in the ASCA National Model, it recognizes schools that are committed to delivering a comprehensive, data driven school counseling program and an exemplary educational environment.