Graduating Seniors & Students Leaving FCPS
If you are graduating or leaving FCPS, you should download your all of your files and folders from Google
Drive to your own personal computer. There are two ways to do this: downloading directly from Google
Drive or using Google Takeout.
Method 1: Downloading directly from Google Drive
- Log in to your FCPS Google Apps account at www.fcpsschools.net
- Select all of your files and folder by pressing Ctrl-A ( Command-A on a Mac).
- From the More Actions (3 dots) menu, select Download.
4.Google will then create a ZIP (compressed) file of all of your files and folders, which may take a while if you have a lot of files. You will see a Preparing download pop-up in the lower-right of your screen.
5. Once your files have been successfully zipped, the pop-up will show Download ready and your browser
should automatically begin downloading the ZIP file to your computer.
NOTE: Your Google documents, presentations and spreadsheets will be downloaded in the corresponding
Microsoft Office format (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
Method 2: Downloading with Google Takeout (only available for staff and 7th - 12th grade students)
- Select the Google products from which you wish to download data. By default all available will be checked, but if you do not use or need to download data from certain tools, just uncheck them using the sliders on the right. NOTE: FCPS employees will have more products available than those shown.
- Drive files can be downloaded in their corresponding Microsoft Office format, as well as PDF, RTF or plain text formats.
- Contacts can be downloaded in either vCard, CSV or HTML format.
- You have the option of downloading everything or only specific files and folders.
- Archives are downloaded in ZIP format by default (but .tgz or .tbz formats are also available) and you can have a download link sent by e-mail (to your @fcpsschools.net address) or have the archive added to your Drive. When you’re ready to begin the process, click Create Archive.
- You will see an on-screen message that your archive is being prepared. Depending on how much data you are archiving, the process of creating your archive can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
NOTE: You do not need to wait for the archiving process to complete -- Google will e-mail your FCPS Google Apps account when it’s finished.
When the archiving process is complete, click the Download Archive button in the notification message Google Takeout sent to your FCPS Google Apps e-mail.
IMPORTANT: You should download your archived data to your own computer -- not an FCPS-owned or other public computer.
NOTE: Archives are available for download for 7 days after being created, and the notification e-mail will include the availability date for yours.